Attending a career fair is one of the more exciting ways to meet employers to introduce yourself, share your qualifications, and leave behind a resume. Before you go, you should make sure you’re fully prepared. Here is a list of suggestions to prepare yourself prior to attending a career fair:
- Identify which employers are attending the career fair.
- Research employers that you are interested in visiting with.
- Plan what you are going to wear at least three days before the career fair. You don’t want to have a wrinkled shirt or not have clean, matching socks.
- If you don’t have a professional outfit to wear, be sure to check out our Career Closet.
- Print off extra resumes to share with recruiters who you plan to talk to and also those you may not be preparing to visit with.
- Practice your conversation starter and hand shake.
- Visit the Career Center to answer any lingering questions.
Guidelines for dressing for a career fair
- Business professional is preferred for students who are looking for a job or internship.
- If women choose to wear a heeled shoe, the heel should be modest (less than 2″)
- Pants/skirts/tops should not be too fitted or short. The hemline for skirts should be at the knee.
Do not wear:
- Wrinkled clothing
- Flip flops
- Mini skirts
- Yoga pants